Sunday 23 November 2014

Being Sick in Japan

So, something I was definitely not counting on whilst in Japan was an urgent need to go to the doctors!

After being in excruciating pain for 4 days, literally since I was on the plane, I was sobbing over the phone to my mum (because I was completely terrified and it hurt so much!) and she gave me the ultimatum to ask my teacher to take me to the doctors in the morning or she would call my school and tell them to send me an ambulance... haha...

It can be incredibly frightening to be so sick that you need to go to the doctors in a foreign country where you barely speak the language, and certainly don't know any medical terms beyond "I have a headache", "I have an earache" and "I feel sick". In Japan, it is much more common to go to the doctors for mostly anything, as opposed to here in the UK where I feel we do try to avoid it. I also know that in Japan, anything the doctor says is taken as fact, antibiotics are prescribed for most things, and in fact the whole process is completely different to booking a doctors appointment in England. 

Firstly, I asked my English-speaking teacher if she could take me to the doctors. Expecting to have to make an appointment, I was completely unprepared when she immediately grabbed her coat and lead me outdoors. The doctors surgery was only a few minutes walk from the school, and on the way there she asked me of all my symptoms.

Upon arriving at the doctors, we went into a small waiting room, I filled out some forms to say I was a foreigner I guess, and some of my symptoms, the receptionists puzzled over how to pronounce my name, then I sat and waiting awkwardly for ten or so minutes whilst my teacher checked over what was wrong.

After what felt like the most dramatic wait ever, my name was called and we were led to a second waiting room, where I had to put my bag and coat in a special box whilst I waited, I still don't understand why! After a few more minutes I was called into a doctors room like I had never seen before! Four doctors were lined up, with chairs in front of them, all with a patient bar one (my doctor!) and so many tools and things hanging from above and on moveable arms, I could seriously liken it to some mad scientists human experimentation room!

I sat awkwardly and terrifiedly down, whilst Watanabe-sensei explained what was wrong. She talked for a very long time, I had no idea what she was saying. The doctor talked back, also for a very long time. Watanabe-sensei explained that he needed to look in my ears and my throat, which I expected, but also up my nose and in my eyes, which was kinda weird. So he did, he then talked for a very very very long time, at least it felt like it. Finally Watanabe-sensei turned to me and said that I have two very bad ear infections, then she had to look up the word for 'sinus' because I also had a sinus infection and a mild throat infection, probably caused from a pocket of air swelling from the air pressure on the plane. Yes, I am super unlucky. I then got given two options. Medicine, or warm water squirted at high pressure up my nose to wash the infection out? Uhm, I think it was a no-brainer. I then got awkward and asked if they had any liquid medicine, because I don't think I could cope taking 3 capsules a day for a week the size of my little finger. He said yes, but it's kind of expensive, but at this point I wasn't fussed as long as the pain went!

I settled with this, and so left the surgery. I was so worried it would be expensive, as I had insurance but I knew I'd have to pay upfront then claim it back later, but it was only about ¥3000 (£17) for the appointment, then we had to go to the pharmacy and pay for the medicine... The 'liquid' medicine I got was actually a weird powder that I had to mix with water and down in one. Not fun. But I was surprised that this 'expensive' medicine was actually only another ¥3000, I was genuinely thinking £50+

FYI, that night I took the medicine, it was completely disgusting, I didn't quite make it in one go and I almost threw it up instantly, but amazingly it worked! Basically by the next day, all the pain had gone, and the only things left were an annoying cough, which I could cope with, and unequalized ears, so pretty much everything sounds very underwater. Actually, I still have problems with my ears now, I don't think it will ever go away at this point! 

But that pretty much sums up my experience with Japanese doctors. It was a weird one, a unique one, and a very unexpected one, but I'm glad I got to experience something like that, just in case it ever happens again!

'Til next time~ またね〜

No comments:

Post a Comment